OPERA COLORADO YOUNG ARTISTS RESIDENCY PROGRAM
2014-2015 AUDITIONS – BASS-BARITONE / BASS
Who are the Opera Colorado Young Artists?
The Young Artists are a group of professional opera performers who participate in a 7-month residency program with Opera Colorado. During their residency, they receive ongoing performance training and gain valuable experience as they bring opera directly to schools and community venues throughout Colorado and surrounding states as well as through other opera-related events.
Who are you looking for?
May auditions are for bass-baritone and bass ONLY. Please only apply if you qualify.
What shows will the Young Artists be doing?
The 2014-2015 touring shows will include Humperdinck’s Hansel and Gretel, Gounod’s Romeo and Juliet and Arias & Ensembles performances. Young Artists will perform the principal roles in a student matinee production of Mozart’s The Magic Flute. The fully-produced matinee takes place at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House. Young Artists will have also have mainstage opportunities. They will be cast in supporting roles for Opera Colorado’s 2014-2015 season featuring Madame Butterfly and The Magic Flute.
What other opportunities will the Young Artists have?
The Young Artists will receive regular training and coaching from Opera Colorado staff and guest artists. Young Artists will also have the opportunity to participate in Masterclasses during their residency, conducted by various guest artists. Each Young Artist will also be assigned various production duties, such as props, load-in/out, costume maintenance, road management, etc.
Who is eligible?
Applicants should have considerable experience performing leading roles in opera on the graduate and/or Young Artist level. Young Artists are contracted for a seven-month residency (Oct. 1-Nov. 23; Jan. 5-May 31). They will receive a $1500 monthly stipend; Young Artists are responsible for their own transportation while in Denver.
When and where can I audition?
Auditions will be held in May 2nd in Denver, Colorado.
What are the audition requirements for chosen applicants?
- Prepare 5 selections of contrasting styles and languages. Successful applicants will keep the 2014-2015 productions in mind when choosing selections.
- Applicants are also required to prepare a 15-second introduction for each aria, presented as if speaking to an audience of elementary school children.
- Stage presence, characterization, movement, and the candidate’s ability to interact with the public will be taken into consideration equally with vocal and stylistic qualities. Please keep this in mind when choosing your selections.
How do I apply?
Interested applicants must submit the following via YAP Tracker
Apply online: http://www.yaptracker.com/applications/opera-colorado-2014
- Cover letter
- 2 References (One must be from a previous/current teacher, coach or director)
- 8 x 10 head shot
- 2 recorded arias for pre-screening purposes (audio or video submissions are acceptable)
- Non-refundable application fee of $30 paid by credit card, money order or check (please make check payable to Opera Colorado)
Applications must be received by April 25, 2014.