Who are the Opera Colorado Young Artists?
The Young Artists are a group of professional opera performers who participate in an eight-month residency program with Opera Colorado. During their residency, they receive ongoing artistic training and gain valuable performance opportunities by bringing opera directly to schools and community venues throughout Colorado and surrounding states. The Young Artists are also highly involved in mainstage productions.
Who are you looking for?
We will be auditioning and hiring the following voice types: Tenor and Baritone only. All other voice types have been cast for the upcoming season. Tenors and Baritones will be chosen based on the needs presented by the repertoire of the upcoming season.
What shows will the Young Artists be doing?
The 2017-2018 touring shows will include Rossini’s Cinderella, Donizetti’s Elixir of Love and Arias & Ensembles performances. Young Artists will perform the principal roles in a student matinee production that takes place at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House. Young Artists will be considered for supporting roles and covers in Opera Colorado’s 2017-2018 season, which includes Puccini’s La Bhoème, Verdi’s Falstaff and the world premiere of Steal a Pencil for Me with music by Gerald Cohen and libretto by Deborah Brevoort.
What other opportunities will the Young Artists have?
The Young Artists will receive regular training and coaching from Opera Colorado artistic staff and guest artists. Young Artists will also have the opportunity to participate in masterclasses, coachings and lessons during their residency. Each Young Artist will also be assigned various production duties.
Who is eligible?
Applicants are required to hold a Master’s Degree (or Performance Certificate) in the area of vocal performance. Applicants should have considerable experience performing roles in opera on the graduate and/or Young Artist level. Young Artists are engaged and must be available for an eight-month residency (September 18 – November 15, 2017; January 2 – May 31, 2018). Applicants over the age of 32 as of January 1, 2018 will not be considered.
What is the compensation?
Opera Colorado Young Artists will receive a $1500 monthly stipend and housing in Denver. Young Artists are responsible for their own transportation while in Denver.
When and where can I audition?
Auditions will be held on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 in Denver, Colorado.
What are the audition requirements for chosen applicants?
- Prepare 5 selections of contrasting styles and languages.
- Priority will be given to applicants who offer repertoire consistent with our upcoming season (touring and mainstage).
- Applicants are also required to prepare a 30-second introduction for their opening aria, presented as if speaking to an audience of elementary school children.
Stage presence, characterization, movement and the candidate’s ability to interact with the public will be taken into consideration equally with vocal and stylistic qualities. Please keep this in mind when choosing your selections.
How do I apply?
Interested applicants must submit the following via YAP Tracker:
- Application Form
- Cover letter
- Résumé [CV]
- 2 References (One must be from a previous/current teacher, coach or director)
- 8 x 10 professional head shot
- 2 recorded arias for pre-screening purposes (audio or video submissions are acceptable)
- Non-refundable application fee of $25.
TENORS AND BARITONES: Apply by April 20th for the Opera Colorado Young Artist Program!
2017-18 Coach Accompanist
- Musically prepare and accompany the Opera Colorado Young Artists for touring productions, concerts, and mainstage assignments
- Coach the Young Artists on assigned and personal repertoire
- Act as the principal rehearsal pianist for the student matinee production of Falstaff
- Work with the artistic team of Opera Colorado as assigned
Auditions will be held at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House in Denver, CO on May 10, 2017 with callbacks May 11, 2017.Application and Audition Information